Is tramadol hcl for dogs the same for humans?




Isiah

My dog was prescribed this and since she can't tolerate a lot of meds I am trying to look it up but all I am finding is Tramadol for humans and it says it hasn't been approved for dogs by the FDA. Is this not the same Tramadol that is given to humans?



Adaline

Yes, they are the same drug compound. Why you cannot find it for dogs is because tramadol is only a medication that has labeled use for humans. It's use as a mechanism for pain control in a veterinarian setting is considered off label. There are many medications that are used by vets in their furry patients that are human medications that do not have a veterinarian version.The drug is still manufactured by the same people who make the tramadol for people. Clinical trials have of course been performed in human patients (if not then it could not be on the market), it is just no one has done clinical trials on dogs or cats or whatever in the way of its efficacy for those animals.There should be no major issues with your dog taking this medication unless your dog has some type of seizure disorder. Just give it a try. Tarmadol is different from most opioid pain medications because it is part opiate and part SNRI, which is probably why your vet wants to try her on it. The SNRI component can in many cases help to minimize the side effects of the opioid agonist component.Also, since I am not certain what the reason for your pup needing this script for, I am just curious if this is going to be used to treat some form of chronic pain or if this is just for an accute situation (I.e. she just had surgery, sustained an injury, etc.). If this is for long term treatment, then that is most likely why your vet chose tramadol. If it is for an accute issue, then was most likely prescribed because of intolerance to NSAIDs as well as traditional opoid pain medications.I can tell you that in regards to pain control, there have been some other drugs which have shown very effective for pain control used in an off label/investigative manner. Something like gabapentin may be an option. If the tramadol does not work out, or if you feel uncomfortable with it, then you can ask your vet about gabapentin.Just from a personal and not professional aspect, I can tell you that I take Tramadol every day and have no negative side effects from it. Also, after sustaining a Hills-Sac fracture to his tibia, my dog (whom i love like a child and would do anything to protect) was given both tramadol and Mobic for pain and he had no negative responses from either drug.



Belinda

Yes its the same. Just beware, if your dog has ANY history of seizures do NOT use. My vet killed my dog, because she prescribed this for my 5 year old dog, knowing a history of seizures. I was not aware of any risk or danger until after my dog died 2-3 days later, and I personally researched this. I wish I had enough money for an autopsy and a lawyer... ..Sorry I went off on a tangent, but I am still so upset about this, and this was 1 year ago.



Diamond Ridge
Surrency
Wainaku
Atascadero
Millry
Skykomish