My dog and i both get prescribed tramadol?




Aldo

I know it makes me high, when she takes it (the dog) she seems happier and spunkier than normal so I was wondering if it makes her high too



Brendon

Tramadol does nothing for some people, like the first answer stated, but it causes a very pleasant euphoria for others. I get sort of high from the amount that I'm prescribed. It is a stripped down analog of codeine and as such it does hit on opiate receptors and is an opioid. For whatever reason, it can be completely ineffective for 60-70% of people that take it, that's a fact. As for pets, I disagree with the previous answer from the vet. I worked at a local kennel, mostly cleaning up crap, but also watching vets care for the dogs and cats. I saw dogs act elated after a dose of Tramadol. Some seemed drowsy and others seemed fairly normal, but with a little more tail wagging. I'm sure she is way more experienced then me, but i think they get high off that doggy dope.



Bessie

I'm not surprised. My vet recommended children's Benadryl for my dog's seasonal allergies and he seems to get pretty zonked out from them. I'm actually more surprised you get a buzz from tramadol. They did absolutely nothing for me after a car accident.. didn't even take away my pain or make me tired and I took the maximum dose that I was allowed.But anyhow, yes, I think the meds could affect the dog in the same way as it does to a human... but it could also be the possibility that she's just happier because her pain (or whatever she was prescribed them for) isn't bothering her anymore.



Bethel

Well if I was in pain and the medication took my pain away then yes I suppose I'd be in a much better mood. That's probably what is happening with your dog.It can affect dogs differently just like it can affect humans differently. Not all people get high from it, and not all dogs feel that way either. My dog was prescribed Tramadol after her surgery to remove a tumor, and she seemed to whine CONSTANTLY when on Tramadol. Now some people would say that was not the meds but her reaction to the pain, only she didn't do that when I withheld the medication... so I'm guessing the meds made her feel loopy in a way that was uncomfortable for her.



Kory

No it does not make them high. Some dogs it can make sleepy. But it does not affect them as it does humans. It is a very widely used pain management medication in vet medicine



Amelia

Do not listen to CVTvette she has no way of knowing. This very well could be from the pain relief. I doubt their have been any studies done to see if this addictive to dogs or if they would seek it out compared to a placebo. Your dog could definitely be getting a little high or notice increased euphoria and comfort just like you. Dogs can behave similarity to humans after given doses of morphine. This vet maybe ill informed about tramadol(the drug companies originally thought it would not produce any euporhia or addictive properties since it wasnt a typical opioid, but they were quite wrong). just look on online forums, i also have personal experience. tramadol is like a cross between Vicodin and codeine but longer acting.



Pinch
East Kingston
Lorenzo
Lambert
Wesley Chapel South
Elkins