Is tramadol worse or better than vicodin?




Coleman

My doctor just prescribed me Tramadol and I was wondering what it makes you feel like....and if it still has the euphoric effects of Vicodin. I'm not addicted to Vicodin and I don't take it regularly, so no danger there...but while on it I would be a little more detached and sleepy and if I didn't eat beforehand I would black out or feel sickwhat's tramadol like?



Annemarie

susieQ - I'm sorry, but you are not correct. Tramadol CAN be habit forming and definitely CAN cause withdrawals is stopped suddenly. It is a narcotic-like medication. Although it does not contain opiates it binds to some of the same receptors that narcotic medications do.The rest of what has been said it true. It definitely can cause drowsiness/sleepiness or it can cause insomnia. It can cause an upset stomach.



Arthur

I saw this question in an opioid-related search on Google, and about had a heart attack at the non-addictive notion. Mark is all too correct. Ultram -can- be like a Tylenol, but -can- and -will- make you go through Heroin-like withdrawals. I've been there. I was told it was safe. I'm also an RN



Chere

Tramadol is a lot milder so you won't get the euphoric feeling. But it is a muscle relaxant and so like most of them you may feel very sedated. Some people get knocked out entirely others not as much. Typically you don't need to eat with Tramadol the same way you would with Vicodin. I wouldn't drive until you've taken it a couple of times and see how it affects you.



Melissia

Tramadol (brand name Ultram) is a pain reliever (not a muscle relaxer) that treats serious pain, but doesn't have the sleepy side effects that vicodin or percocette do. I have used it several times when I was in pain before and after surgery, but needed to be coherent. While vicodin would make me sleepy or feel dreamy, tramadol wouldn't and would still relieve my pain. You almost forget you are on a severe pain reliever with Tramadol until it wears off and you begin to feel the pain again.



Maxima

they work somewhat equally as well for pain but tramadol trade name ultram does not have the narcotic component in it hydrocodone that vicodine has. More doctors use it because it is not a narcotic and lowers their liability because. But from some of the information I have read on it it can cause severe withdraw effects if you miss a dose or suddenly stop it. It also has been known to cause seizures in clinical studies. you can check it out by doing a search on the Internet or better yet talk to your pharmacist. Good luck. I do assure you that this drug can be addictive and can cause withdraw symptoms please see on the web medlineplus and it will tell you all the information that the pharmacy will give you. I have taken this drug myself I have personal experience. Best wishes but check with your doctor or pharmacist.



Hershel

Tramadol can cause some mild drowsiness when you first start taking it so be careful about driving. It does not make you feel euphoric. But, it can cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach so be aware of that and be prepared to eat something if it does.Tramadol is not addictive and does not cause withdrawal effects. It is a very safe and effective drug. The only instances of seizures have been in people taking it with anti-depressants.I hope you feel better soon.SQSupport Group for people with chronic pain from Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Arthritis, Migraines, Neuropathy, Lupus, and related conditions:health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fib



Charles

It is too complex to say which one is better or worse. Both of these drugs have their pros and cons.However, when you are talking about more than mild to moderate pain, Tramadol (in my opinion), does not rise to the absolute pain killing effect that Hydrocodone (Vicodin) does. Also, you are asking about the euphoric effects of these drugs. Tramadol does not reward the patient with that feeling of well being than straight opiates do so well.Ultram/Tramadol is addictive, and some people do report euphoric results. However, for that old time feel good feeling, Vicodin easily wins in that department. Ultram doe not impart the party on feelings that Vicodin dishes out.Does Tramadol work better for some? Yes. Those whom prefer Tramadol over Vicodin, are substantially smaller in number.Ultram/Tramadol is good for mild to moderate pain relief. It works better for those who don't like that being drugged feeling.Vicodin provides pain relief and euphoria, for most who take it. To me, It is like a ladder. Tramadol is on the first rung. Higher up is Codeine/Vicodin. Higher still is Oxycontin and Morphine. And then..I think you get the idea. If you don't, it is probably because I use Vicodin. That should make it easier for you to read between the lines of my answer.



Golden

Well I was on ultram 300ER (tramadol) and 3 50 mg of tramadol per day for nearly a year for c3-c6 disc buldge's on tecal sac and a herniated L5 1 level above siactic, differnet route into outside thigh groin, but oh my. And a splash or robaxin and lyrica 25 mg 3x.Now I dropped the tramadol ( all of them ) for Vico 5/500 4 x a day w/ Lyrica and Robax and well not sure yet. Vico way more sleepy, may be getting used to it but I was on way to much ultram, 300mg is max and i was 50% over that.To me Ultram takes edge off pain, Vico dulls it to a numbing type state, but dulls you to. Been REALLY cranky past 2 weeks maybe Tramadol wthdrawl, or just me :) Well really been cranky for sure.I have decided yet which is better. Turned percocet down because I never want, or wanted the strong stuff, but now it's harder to manage the pain on a mental level. Good Luck all



Mount Cobb
Ripon
Lakes
Spring Hope
Netcong
Marksville