My 4 year old bulldog has cancer in his left rear leg he is taking 50 mgs tramadol and 100 mgs amantidine bid




Damian

He is starting to lick his leg and he licks his pilows more all the time. He does not cry or whimper. My vets have said I can go up on his meds. I dont want to over medicate him. is my dog telling me he is in pAIN AND i AM JUST NOT SEEING THE SIGNS?



Dante

dogs have many different ways of showing pain. Talk to your vet, and if they give the ok, up the Tramadol.



Ricky

be kind...put him down...good luck..



Aracelis

Licking pillows isn't necesarily a sign of pain. Boredom or stress perhaps. Tramadol acts similar to codeine in the body and it may even be a side-effect of that, as codeine in people can make them talk more, itchy, or restless. I think you will know when he is in pain. He just sounds bored to me.



Cherrie

Are the side effects to upping the meds dangerous? Have you asked your vet? If I were in your shoes, I honestly would try to do everything I could, without putting my pup in *too* much pain, to try and make him well again before I gave up. I'd get all the facts I could from my vet, ask him/her what signs they usually see from dogs in this position that tells you that they're in more pain, and then go from there. You never know, he may pull through this, or he may need you to give him more meds and help him enjoy his last few days without pain ... but get all the info you can, and make an informed decision, that's my suggestion.I am so sorry that you are going through this - best of luck to you both! Keep us posted, please!



Ma

if it is in his leg don't put him down just get his leg removed that helped with my grandmothers cat and she was cancer free. and u have to know that there is always pain and there would be even if you had cancer.I am sorry for you my dog brownie had bone cancer in his muzzel and we had him for 5 months after we treated him but then he got worse so we had to put him down. but i think your dog could have a chance just do what you think is right



Erika

I wish I knew. My 12 year old dog is going through the same thing. I asked almost the same question yesterday. My dog has never shown any signs of pain..I know what you are saying...you don't want him zoned out but you don't want him in pain either...if only they could talk!! -I would watch him walk, and see if he is favoring that leg much.-Does he grunt or groan when he sits or lays down? -Heavy panting may also be a sign of pain. -When he is in a sitting position, does he fall to the good side or immediately lay down? These can all be signs....I know because I've not taken my eyes off my dog since he was diagnosed on Christmas Eve. My heart goes out to you...I know how you feel. Good luck...give him all the love and affection you can. Oh, one other thing. I noticed that my dog definately reacts when I get emotional around him. You may want to be careful of that. Try to be loving and upbeat....whenever I would start crying or getting really sad and depressed, he seemed to go down with me...Best of luck to you...hope he feels better.



Mineral
Struble
Ellsworth
New Cambria
White Horse
Idanha